Previous post:

Next post:

Adult Autism Services in Pennsylvania

by Trish on August 12, 2009 · 8 comments

in Autism, Resources

four figuresSince I became part of the autism community a few years ago, one of the things I was consistently alarmed to hear the parents of older children with autism talk about was the lack of services available once their children entered adulthood.

Well, I am excited to say that the situation in Pennsylvania is changing, with the introduction of two pilot programs for adults living with an autism spectrum disorder.

Adult Autism Waiver

One program is the Adult Autism Waiver, which will allow Medicaid-eligible adults who are significantly impacted by ASD to receive services to meet their needs in a variety of areas. Waiver services are currently expected to serve up to 200 adults living anywhere in the state of Pennsylvania. To request an application, you must call the Department of Public Welfare, Bureau of Autism Services at 1-866-539-7689. More information is also available at their website.

Adult Community Autism Program (ACAP)

The other program is the Adult Community Autism Program (ACAP), which is a fully integrated system of care that incorporates health care with vocational, social and behavioral support. The services provided will be individually tailored to build upon each person’s strengths, improve social skills, support both work and recreational activities, as well as to assist families and caregivers in their roles.

ACAP is currently available to individuals who live (or plan to live) in Dauphin, Cumberland, Chester, or Lancaster County. It is being administered by Keystone Autism Services, which is an agency within Keystone Human Services.

The basic requirements are simply that the individual:

• Be 21 years of age or older.
  • Be eligible for Medical Assistance.
  • Have a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
  • Be able to live in a community setting with fewer than 16 hours of support per day.

As a pilot program, ACAP needs to show its usefulness to move forward and become a permanent reality in this region and throughout the entire state, so KAS has asked me to partner with them get the word out to as many people as possible. If you know of anyone who may qualify for this program, I urge you to share this information with them and encourage them to look into it further.

Keystone Autism Services can be contacted at 717-412-7400, and they are more than willing to talk to anyone who has an interest in the program and answer all your questions. I have listed some additional links, as well as the schedule for their upcoming information sessions, on a separate page.

I know many of your kids are young, like my son, but they will be adults soon enough, and we need to do everything we can to prepare our communities to support and include them.

{ 8 comments }

Shawnda August 13, 2009 at 12:13 pm

This is some great info/resources, thanks for posting. I notice this is for PA. I live in Western PA are you on this side of the state too?
.-= Shawnda´s last blog ..I Am Officially On Facebook =-.

Shawnda August 13, 2009 at 8:13 am

.-= Shawnda´s last blog ..I Am Officially On Facebook =-.

Dave Hamilton August 27, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Anybody who can help us get an inside track or otherwise find more specific information about Who , where and what is provided in the Adult Autism waiver , please contact me . I live in York County but gladly would move over to Lancaster County . Our supports coordinator is in Lancaster County ?

Dave Hamilton August 27, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Summer September 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Shawnda, the Autism Waiver is statewide so you can contact the Bureau of Autism Services to get more info about the application process for the Waiver.

BeeBee May 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Hi,

We are working on establishing an after school hours academy that teaches autistic children “life” skills so they can get part time jobs, etc. Things they are not learning in the schools here. I saw a graphic at the top of your webpage, the one with people holding pieces of a puzzle, and I would like to know if I could use that graphic on some stationary I am using to send out invitations to an important upcoming meeting we are having.
The graphic goes so well with our logo. I would not use it on anything else, just some stationary for this upcoming events.

Lori Thomas September 13, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I was told like a month ago my 22 year old might have to wait 2 years to get services with the waiver. He has been on the waiting list a year. He is without services since June. I’m worried if he goes too long without services that he will be hard to manage and only thing that can be done is medicate him into a vegetable. At that point I have lost him.I will hold the state of Pennsylvania responsible. State rep is aware of my situation also a social worker yet nothing is being done. You would think what has been going on with that woman in Michigan who tried to kill her child due to lack of services something would be done.

Ray Martin January 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I am looking for other parents of adult individuals who are on the autism spectrum who are concerned about housing for those individuals

Previous post: